There comes a time where toy owners set out to find where to sell their Transformers toys for the best available value. However, finding that best value takes time along with many tests. Without guidance through the minefield of options to sell your toys to, you are likely to lose out as a first-time toy seller. Fortunately, you will get the right answer here. As a reputable brand in the toy business for the past two decades, we have helped thousands of toy owners convert their old toys into cash.
Do you have old Jazz, Soundwave, or any of the other vast selection of Transformers toys that you want to sell? Our practical guide will help through the entire process, from discovering your collection’s worth to knowing where and how to sell.
Before you are ready to sell your Transformers toys
You are looking for where to sell your Transformers toys. But just before that, you should put some things into place to make the entire process seamless for you. Remember what they say about proper preparation? It is key to getting the best value for your toys.
Are you the owner?
You should answer this question first before looking for where to sell your vintage Transformers toys. If you are the original owner, you can easily match each toy’s parts and pieces and make more money that way. This may be difficult or impossible if you are not the owner. But not to worry, we can help. Just send us an email right away.
Identify the Transformers in your collection
Depending on how long you have kept these toys, they have become fragile from age. So, you need to be careful when handling them. Sort the full collection into general collections and then to separate brands. The regular sizes include 4”, 5” or 12”. The original owner will have no problem whatsoever handling this.
What is the worth of your toys?
Another hurdle to cross before you get to where to sell vintage Transformers toys is deciding how much you can get from the sale of your toys. The first step here is pricing. To figure out the price, you need to compare what you have with something similar. A quick check on eBay’s sold listings can give you an idea of what you should expect. Remember, the focus is on sold listings, not asking price; asking prices are not helpful here.
What is the condition of your Transformers toys?
Let us quickly state here that the condition of your toys affects their worth. Therefore, you see the same item sells for $10 and $100. There are four things potential buyers look out for in terms of a toy collection’s condition:
- Is the toy new and sealed?
- If opened, is the box present?
- Are all the smaller parts present?
- Is it broken?
The overall condition of a toy depends on the criteria above. So, do not be surprised if a water-damaged box is selling for much less than a new box. Clean and vivid-colored toys will sell much more than dusty or yellowed toys. Despite being the original owner, you may struggle to determine the exact condition of the toy. That is understandable, but you need a rough idea to arrive at a near correct valuation.
How clean are your toys?
Where you have kept your collection may affect how much you get when you get to where to sell Transformers toys. For instance, toys that have been on open shelves for decades will inevitably have dust covering them. The same goes for opened box toys left in an attic or basement.
If you have stored your old toys in areas with exposure to smoke or sunlight, you may end up with discolored or yellowed figures. Exposure to high heat or low humidity can also affect the properties of some of the plastics and vinyl, leaving you with brittle or sticky toys. Meanwhile, the scent of tobacco smoke sticks to toys and even causes stains. Many toy owners are not aware of the damage that sunlight causes to toys, so old and used toys often become bleached and yellowed by sitting in the open.
Fortunately, you can remedy your yellowed toys by following our how-to guide here.
Have animals or pests damaged your toys?
Rodents, insects, and other pests may attack your toys in storage. This may pose a significant problem considering collectors are hardly interested in such affected toys.
Where to sell your Transformers action figures?
We are finally here – the part you have been waiting for. There are several options to choose from when it comes to where to sell Transformers toys, each with clear advantages and disadvantages. Your choice will depend on what works best for you, especially how quickly and easily you want to sell your toys.
Local Auction Service
- Local auction services are easy to use. Just find one in your local area and show up there.
- Local auction services are not only slow but also expensive. You should be prepared to spend more and wait even more.
- Your chances of a successful sale at a great price fully depend on the people who check out your auction. So, this way is akin to gambling for the high roll.
- Considering all of these, you may end up with below-par results, except your collection is large and there is a specialist on the ground to help you.
- Like local auction services, it is easy to find a pawnshop. They are always around you.
- It is almost impossible to get the full value for your collection. This is because pawnshop owners exploit your resolve to sell by offering you exceptionally low prices. So, they will make you feel as if you have no choice but to sell to them.
- Another downside of dealing with pawnshops is that you are dealing with businessmen rather than experts. They are only interested in making money, so they offer you extremely low rates.
Local Toy Dealers
- Selling your Transformers toys to local toy dealers is quick; you can complete your sale in no time.
- These dealers register with the Better Business Bureau, so you can do some background checks on them before dealing.
- The process is free; you are not paying any fees for the sales.
- Getting full value for your toys may be difficult when you sell to local toy dealers. Like pawnshop owners, they are more interested in making remarkably high profits. So, they offer to buy at exceptionally low rates to preserve their gains.
- Even if you are selling several boxes of toys, you will not get anything close to your asking price. However, they will pressure you to sell since they know you are unlikely to box them again after presenting your collection.
Online Auctions, e.g., eBay
- eBay and other online auctions are available online. So, you get access to a large client base.
- You also get to sell at competitive prices to this virtual audience.
- Although the pay is good, you should be ready to put in considerable time and effort.
- Asides from this, you will be paying exceedingly high fees.
- There is no standardized price on biding, though you may set a buy it now price. Still, you only get to know how it will go when you are ready to sell.
- These platforms are not as straightforward as other methods, plus you may be at the risk of dealing with fraudsters.
- These sites expect you to accept returns when you sell on online auction platforms, in addition to visiting the post office every day to post the sold items.
Online Swap Pages, e.g., Facebook and Craigslist
- You get reasonable prices and pay no fees when you sell your vintage Transformers toys on online swap pages.
- The platforms are typically easy to use, and they give you access to a large client base.
- You may want to consider other options when looking for where to sell your Transformers action figures fast. This is because the process is slow and time-consuming.
- You are also at risk of fraud and privacy issues. Anybody can access your data on these platforms.
- The customer support is poor. Resolving issues may be difficult if you run into any while using the platform.
- You cannot entirely avoid tire-kickers, who just waste your time without buying anything.
Online Toy Dealers
- Online toy dealers buy your old toys fast and for cash, ensuring you spend as little time as possible. You will complete the sale and receive your payment in a week in most cases.
- Like local toy dealers, they register with the Better Business Bureau, so you can run some background checks.
- You pay no hidden fee whatsoever; the dealer sometimes pays your shipping.
- You may not get full value if you sell your old toys to online toy dealers.
Wheeljack’s Lab: The best way to sell your Transformers toys
The best answer to where to sell old Transformers toys is to sell to us. Selling your old toys can be time-consuming and demanding. You must clean, stage, light, name, and match them up before they are ready to go. This is a lot of work. That is why we offer to make the entire process seamless for you.
Do you have a box of old toys you want to sell? You can reach us on 888-946-2895 or send us a message. As a reputable vintage toy buyer with over two decades of excellent service, we are always available to buy your Transformers toys. We also buy toys from many other toy lines and manufacturers, like Mattel’s He-Man.
Wheeljack’s Lab is well-known in the area as a brand that prioritizes customer satisfaction. Our communication lines are always open, payments immediate, and shipping fast and prepaid. Sometimes, we offer to pick up the collection from your address. With us, you can rest assured of same-day quotes and cash payments.
For us, nothing beats helping you find new homes for your old toys while making you happy in the process.
Do you have old and used Transformers toys?
If you have a collection of old and used toys, you can turn those toys into cash. There is no reason to let those old toys collect dust. Contact us today to sell your Transformers toy collection.
Our professional, friendly, and expert staff have decades of experience as collectible toy buyers. If you are ready to sell your collection today, fill out the form below or call us at 888-946-2895.
About the author
Author: Chris Ingledue
Bio: I am the founder and owner of Wheeljack’s Lab pop Culture and Toy Shop. My vision has always been to reunite customers with their favorite childhood toys and pop culture, triggering fond memories, and reigniting their imaginations. Every day, I work in the “lab” where it’s Christmas 365 days a year. I scour the internet, like when we had the Sears Catalog of yesteryear, for the next great treasure. Then, I await the arrival of the postman as if he were Santa Claus himself and helping collectors worldwide with their own versions of Christmas. Every day as a vintage toy buyer is an absolute joy!
Still uncertain about where to sell your Transformers toys?
When it comes to the ways that you can sell your Transformers toys, you can do no better than Wheeljack’s Lab. We have both the experience and knowledge to get you the best price for your old and used toys. If you are not convinced, just take a look at only a small sampling of the toys that we have sold and bought: